AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Splints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluenoser24
Apprentice
Apprentice

28 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Shin Splints Reply with quote

Is there any way to speed the recovery from shin splints?

I used to get them every once in the while and the only thing that I could do was stay off my feet as much as possible and eat asprin.
DanG
World Champion
World Champion

1359 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of stress being placed on the shins can be minimised by wearing good quality, supportive running shoes with shock absorbing insoles. It is possible that some cases of Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome could be prevented by correcting problems such as flat feet (excessive pronation) with arch supports.

Most patients respond well to treatment with a chartered physiotherapist.
A member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, signified by the initials MCSP.. This involves rest, strengthening and stretching exercises, followed by a gradual return to running after symptoms subside. In order to help prevent recurrence of the condition, a bio-mechanical analysis (an analysis of posture at rest and during walking and running) is very useful.

For example, a common cause of the condition is excessive pronation during running. This would be identified during bio-mechanical analysis and corrected with arch supporting insoles.

Many people find that a Cho Pat Shin Splint Compression Sleeve is useful in alleviating shin pain. The elasticated fabric provides gentle support to the entire shin and calf region. The upper and lower Velcro fasteners apply additional compression across the muscles and tendons of the lower leg, reducing stress on the inside of the shin.
bluenoser24
Apprentice
Apprentice

28 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.....If I get them again I will check out the doctor. I think that everything that you mentioned is covered by my health plan so I might as well give it a shot.
DanG
World Champion
World Champion

1359 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum