AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horse racing fixing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Horse Racing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Horse racing fixing Reply with quote

Police have made more arrests as part of a probe into the alleged fixing of horse races.

In September, champion jockey Kieren Fallon was among 16 people arrested, including two other jockeys and a racehorse trainer, in dawn raids. They have all been released on police bail until Tuesday 2 November. On Monday, police confirmed further arrests have been made since September, although none of those arrested are thought to be jockeys or trainers.

Seems like the sport of horse racing still needs to clean up its act! Tut Tut

Aaron
punterprofits
Novice
Novice

2 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Aaron.

Horse Racing does get a lot of bad press regarding "The Integrety of the Sport"

A lot of the recent focus has in my opinion been driven by bookmaker PR departments keen to highlight reasons why betting exchanges should be banned.

Perhaps akin to old time horse and cart makers seeking reason to justify the banning of the motor car.

The reasons have always been there but in the past when the bookmakers were more privay to it than punters all was rosey as far the bookmakers were concerned as it was individual bookmakers with knowledge about a not 100% horse who were offering top price adn cleaning up themselves.

Racing should in an ideal world be clean and honest. I agree.
Having champion jockeys hauled before the court is not good PR for the sport.
It may however have along term positive imapct when other jockeys see that if falon was not imune, nor would they be.

In a strange way however the history of skullduggery adds to the attraction for many.

How many shop punters for example try and spot a gamble in progress or follow individual trainer styles for tell tale signs of a horse due a good run.

With a reputation of sterile integrety , would some of the charm of racing be lost?

Best wishes

Mick
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick, and a warm welcome to the forums. Wave

punterprofits wrote:
In a strange way however the history of skullduggery adds to the attraction for many.

Fair point. It's akin to having video replays in football (soccer) introduced - in my opinion, the stupid errors that referees sometimes make in football is often what gives us so much to talk about, and is integral to the game in a strange sort of way. The same could be said of racing although we can't of course condone improper conduct for this reason! Smile

Aaron
johanesboyle
Apprentice
Apprentice

10 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common fix in this category is "to load a horse down." Leave a water bucket in the stall, and let nature take its course.
morganstanly
Apprentice
Apprentice

20 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to having movie replays in football (soccer) presented - in my view, the ridiculous mistakes that referees sometimes make in football is often what gives us so much to discuss, and is important to the game in an unusual kind of way. The same could be said of rushing although we can't of course excuse inappropriate perform for this reason!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Horse Racing Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum