AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

England new favourites for World Cup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: England new favourites for World Cup Reply with quote

Now that the rugby giant that is the England side has awoken from its slumber to soundly thrash the ailing Scottish side, ably led by Sir Jonny, it is surely a certainty that we will reign victorious in France later this summer.

Rule Brittania, Brittania rules the waves Cool

[/url]
Wiljoy
Champion
Champion

0 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: England new favourites for World Cup Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Now that the rugby giant that is the England side has awoken from its slumber to soundly thrash the ailing Scottish side, ably led by Sir Jonny, it is surely a certainty that we will reign victorious in France later this summer.

ROTFLMAOAPIMP Very Happy

JUST REMIND ME,WHO HOLDS THE ASHES NOW? 5-0
chidmas
Novice
Novice

6 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no chance
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: England new favourites for World Cup Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:

Just spotted this thread adi for the first time,were you serious when you sent it??,by my calculations,England will play Australia in the Semi's????and New Zealand will play France in the other Semi.-------or was it a bit of "tongue in cheek,wishful thinking?"

Sir Jonny,is he the guy that was a great goalkicker,but the worst attacking five-eighth in International Rugby in 2003? Very Happy
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was tongue in cheek. We have about as much chance as winning as our cricket team did (ie none). I'm glad someone else has sussed out Wilkinson because everyone here thinks the sun shines out of his backside. A fine kicker, decent defensively (as though you need that from a fly half Rolling Eyes ) but not a patch on Dan Carter with ball in hand.

We have these daft friendlies to come against South Africa before the WC. With 20/30 players out of the squad no doubt we'll get soundly thrashed. Who thinks up these crazy schedules I'll never know. Usual story with England though, we win something, the press/public go doolally, the team starts its slide into mediocrity. Heaven help us if the football team manage to win anything Rolling Eyes

Think I'll stick to cycling, a sport we seem rather good at but that doesn't get any media attention at all.

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:

Think I'll stick to cycling, a sport we seem rather good at but that doesn't get any media attention at all.

In the recent Commonwealth games,Australia won 11 gold medals to Englands 5,and I saw English people write on several other forums,words to the effect of saying "cycling? we have no interest in that 2nd rate sport over here, I haven't seen the results of the recent World championships,but I understand you have done better than the Commonwealth games,judging by your last paragraph shown above. Very Happy

In all seriousness adi,I just cannot understand why "sports "such as Snooker,Darts,&Curling,are treated with such"High Octane" in England or anywhere else ,for that matter,on other forums I participate in,English writer seem to go beserk with their discussions on these 3 very minor "activities",I'm sorry,I can't refer to them as sports. Can you enlighten me as to why this is so.???
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps worth remembering that the likes of Chris Hoy (Scotland) and Cavendish (Isle of Man) will have competed for their respective regions in the Commonwealths but generally compete under the British banner in all other events. At the World Championships we won 11 medals from the 17 events held. Add in the domination Nicole Cooke has in womens road racing and the good start Mark Cavendish has made to his road racing career and we're doing well on two wheels.

As for its general popularity it's a strange one. It doesn't get much attention in the media and I doubt many people would say they follow it, yet I expect the opening prologue of Le Tour next month will see 1 million spectators come to London to watch it. Who knows, we might even see a Brit (Wiggins) win it.

I can't understand the fuss over those sports either, and they're not held in high esteem by anyone I know. Our best chance of success at the 2008 Olympics will come from cycling, rowing and sailing. Strangely enough, three sports with not much attention. I live in Cowes (sailing capital of Britain) and no doubt the place will be packed for the annual Cowes Week regatta in August.

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this weekend results,do you still fancy France to win the world cup,adi??? 61 points is one hell of a hiding regardless of how strong or weak a team France put out,and I am sure it wasn't the Kiwi's full strenth side either.

one thing that baffles me is,why are Fiji so good at 7 a side,yet useless at the full game.
on Saturday it was embarrassing watching the Wallabies v Fiji match...Fiji looked like novices,( the Wallabies weren't too crash hot either although they are easily in the top 3 ranking in the world).the World Cup is an absolute certainty to end up in the Southern Hemisphere.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't expect France to win the WC but with home support who knows. NZ are so often the form team going into a WC but have only won it once so it's hard to rule anyone out.

As for Fiji I think it lies in the forwards. In the 7 aside game you get the ball back much easier and faster. In 15 aside you have to win the ball in your forwards and Fiji simply don't have any that are good enough to compete with leading packs, hence their backs seldom have good enough ball to weave their magic.

[/url]
tzh
Apprentice
Apprentice

15 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is great living in england Shocked
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you wish you'd listened to me now huh? Wink

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you wished you hadn't confessed to it being 'tongue in cheek'. Wink
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just to throw you off the scent Wink

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
That was just to throw you off the scent Wink

Let's hope you can still smile in 10 day's time adi. Laughing Laughing Laughing
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure we can... whatever happens from now on, we still knocked you lot out. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum