AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the foreign influx a good thing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Is the foreign influx a good thing? Reply with quote

After the WC a host of south hemisphere players will join Premiership clubs. Whilst they are all quality players most are nearing the end of their careers. Cynics will argue that they're coming for a pension whilst others will say that such quality can only help the league.

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is the foreign influx a good thing? Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
After the WC a host of south hemisphere players will join Premiership clubs. Whilst they are all quality players most are nearing the end of their careers. Cynics will argue that they're coming for a pension whilst others will say that such quality can only help the league.

I think a player should only be allowed to play in a country where he has birth or relationship qualifications....to be honest,I doubt whether many Australians would want to see English players playing in the Aussie NRL, me included.

Last edited by Dante on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most of the players, from NZ certainly, not being eligible for their national sides whilst playing in Europe you do have to question their committment.

[/url]
Galileo
Novice
Novice

2 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day we wouldn't want too many of the Northern Hemisphere players coming down to play in the Southern Hemisphere. After all, what on earth could they bring to the game that we haven’t already developed ourselves?
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galileo wrote:
At the end of the day we wouldn't want too many of the Northern Hemisphere players coming down to play in the Southern Hemisphere. After all, what on earth could they bring to the game that we haven’t already developed ourselves?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Where have you been this last 30 years???...cant you see the difference between Northern & southern Hemisphere styles of play?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I know what I would rather watch,and no prizes for guessing.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one based on rugby league I presume Wink

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
The one based on rugby league I presume Wink

And also RU. Laughing
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I dunno about that, you guys still can't scrummage Very Happy

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Oh I dunno about that, you guys still can't scrummage Very Happy

We can't be too bad,we are No2 in the world. Wink

Are you refering to loose scrums or tight scrums adi??......Tight scrums are just a waste of time,it must be 10 years since a team got the ball out of a scrum against the feed,..just the same in RL,..in loose scrums,I reckon we are as good as anyone except the All Blacks,England are too too slow,and will always persist in playing big fat drums,instead of SPEED SPEED SPEED, that is what wins rugby matches,both codes.
How many teams in the world can honestly say that a lot of their forwards are quick enough to play in the back line?..I have never ever seen an England pack that could be classed as speedy.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrums still have their place but I agree that we're not good enough at the breakdown, and it's that area that I think will decide the WC. In 2003 our back row of Hill, Back and Dallaglio was the best in the world and set the team up both defensively and offensively. Now though it's NZ that have the best back row by far. Both Collins and Rodney So'oialo could play in the backs, they're strong and very quick and great at clearing out rucks and presenting Kelleher with quick ball. In defence Richie McCaw is simply the master at slowing opposition ball down. He plays on the edge of legality but gets away with it more often than not. In a fast, open game those three will simply dominate you, which is where the set pieces come into play. The NZ lineout isn't great because they havn't had a settled formation at lock or hooker so that's an area where teams will look to attack them. Likewise in the scrum. The likes of Hayman are world class but other teams can match them in the front five and will look to exploit that and attack down the centre channels.

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum