AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: World Cup Reply with quote

Well all of the friendlies are out of the way. France have been the pick of the NH sides with Ireland looking lost without O'Driscoll. None look capable of upsetting the SH teams however unless home advantage plays a huge factor (or NZ choke again)

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: World Cup Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Well all of the friendlies are out of the way. France have been the pick of the NH sides with Ireland looking lost without O'Driscoll. None look capable of upsetting the SH teams however unless home advantage plays a huge factor (or NZ choke again)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Carter gets injured Australia will bolt it.

I still believe we have the fastest pack in the competition.
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: World Cup Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:

Surely adi you aren't suggesting that Ireland are a one man side?..I know New Zealand are a brilliant side without Carter and(what word can you use to describe them when he is in the side??)....a better stand-off half than Darryl Lockyer and THAT is saying something ......especially coming from an Aussie.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: World Cup Reply with quote

Dante wrote:
adigaskell wrote:

Surely adi you aren't suggesting that Ireland are a one man side?..I know New Zealand are a brilliant side without Carter and(what word can you use to describe them when he is in the side??)....a better stand-off half than Darryl Lockyer and THAT is saying something ......especially coming from an Aussie.

Well Ireland have really struggled since he has been injured and on form you would have to say that both France and Argentina could progress ahead of them from their group.

As for NZ they would still be strong even without Carter because the likes of McAlister have looked good recently. Injuries will no doubt play a part though and Australia could suffer more than most if Mortlock is out as he's probably the best centre in world rugby at the moment.

[/url]
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have the first upset already with Argentina humbling France in the opening fixture Very Happy

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Well we have the first upset already with Argentina humbling France in the opening fixture Very Happy

And I don't think that will have gone down well with the EYEGOUGERS.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the Eyegougers? Laughing

[/url]
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gods, what a load of rubbish Embarassed

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Who are the Eyegougers? Laughing

adi,dont you recall the World Cup that John Eales captained Australia (1999)??,he threatened to take his team off because five of the Aussies had their eyes gouged by the Froggies. there was a major uproar about the incidents at the time.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I don't really remember that, long time ago, plus all we seem to remember from that tournament was Jannie Da Beer dropping all those goals to knock us out.

I wrote this summary of our performance on another site.

The one good thing from that performance is that it will hopefully shut Guscott and Carling up. Their anti-League bleetings and one-eyed support for Mike Catt has been quite nauseating in the run up to this World Cup. Andy Farrell made more of an impact in five minutes yesterday than Jamie Noon did in the entire match and has to start against South Africa. For me the midfield should be Barkley at 10, Faz at 12 and Tait at 13. We also need to ditch this idea that Mark Cueto is a full back. I don't know quite who put that idea in Ashtons head but he's never a full back in a million years and the better sides will really exploit that. Robinson should go back to 15 as despite not being a natural full back either has better positional play than Cueto and will make far more use of broken play with his elusive counter attacking.

I've said it before though and I'll say it again, it's the back row where we lose out time and time again. You only had to look at the All Blacks against Italy. They hit the contact area and bam, the ball was out in an instant. Quick play of the ball is so important to allow your backs a run at a broken defensive line. Instead we seem to fanny about for an age, either because the back row don't get to the breakdown quickly enough to clear the ruck or because the scrum half farts about waiting for divine inspiration or something before passing the thing. Oh and then of course there is the odd trundle of a few millimetres by the forwards, which I guess is supposed to draw in defenders but does bugger all because they're so slow.

Dallaglio had a stinker, a real stinker and if he can't boss the USA then he won't have a hope against a strong SA back row. Compare his speed to that of So'Ialo, or his physicality to that of Chabal and he's found wanting.

Rees shows promise, but needs to improve. For me the two roles of the open side flanker is to support any runners and to boss the breakdown. Richie McCaw is exceptional at both. Rees shows potential in the loose, although there were still a number of instances of people breaking the line and having no one on their shoulder in support (again compare that to NZ who always had several options - heck their prop forwards were even supporting breaks). At the breakdown he's nowhere near good enough yet, either at getting quick ball for us or slowing opposition ball down. The problem is he's the only open side flanker in the squad so he has to play. Magnus Lund showed promise but was left at home for some reason.

Then there is Joe Worsley. He's a player that I want to like, I really do. He's got the size and is reasonably quick and does occasionally make an impact in both defence and attack, but again you have to compare him against the best in the business. I look at France and they have Betson, Aus have Smith, NZ of course have the imperious Jerry Collins, SA have Berger. They're all better than Worsely both in attack and defence.

[/url]
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True to form the NH sides have been awful and it wouldn't surprise me to see none making it through to the semi-finals.

[/url]
Dante
Champion
Champion

422 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
True to form the NH sides have been awful and it wouldn't surprise me to see none making it through to the semi-finals.

I will keep my fingers crossed & hope the Eyegougers beat the All Blacks in the Quarters,the Engraver can then start putting " Australia 2007" on the Trophy. Very Happy Very Happy
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France have absolutely no chance of beating New Zealand. Don't go expecting a repeat of the 1999 semi-final.

[/url]
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get in there. Andy Sheridan absolutely demolished you guys in the scrum Laughing

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Rugby Union Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum