AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kickboxing as a sport and CV workout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Kickboxing as a sport and CV workout Reply with quote

What do you think of kickboxing as a cardiovascular workout? Anyone here tried it?

Many of those who practice kickboxing or the martial arts differ from the general public in that they have a lower level of anxiety, an increased sense of responsibility, and a higher level of self-esteem. Is kickboxing therefore good for your health because it doesn't focus purely on physical training?!

Aaron
full back
Champion
Champion

204 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Cheesy Reply with quote

Well personally i find Kickboxing cheesy.
In the sense that if you want to learn how to fight, do Thai Boxing and if you want to learn how to become mentally strong then do Kung fu!

Kickboxing is a way for martial artist to make a business out of a sport!
A fitness resource online
onelife
Amateur
Amateur

24 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my sessions with clients I try to incorporate kickboxing as part of the cv element and also as a proprioception tool. This usually follows all the resistance, core and self-defence work. Then onto some serious fat burning, how many calories burnt within the session largely depends on duration of the bout, speed of the strikes and power generated with each strike. It is not uncommon for my clients to burn 1000 calories in an hourly session, sometimes a calorie per second, depending on the overall conditioning of the client.

I train my clients to use kickboxing as a tool, if it is applied correctly then it can be a very effective fighting style. I don't advocate the use of violence but self preservation. When I taught people to fight in the military, I stripped away all the moves that are ineffective and drilled in the effective ones. A 'close quarter battle' should last no more than 6 seconds, any longer than that and chances are you're dead.

Anything which combines speed, power, mental co-ordination and core stability will burn huge calories. Just get in front of a large punch bag and use some power and speed and watch those calories melt away.
jonwade
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

62 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ok to open such an old thread? Well, I do kung-fu and sometimes go to the kick-boxing classs beforehand for the cv. Kick-boxing is a great way in my opinion to get fit, as unlike circuit training classes, or aerobics, running clubs etc. there is usually much more interaction between students, and the classes can be very sociable too. Although saying that some clubs prefer a strict school room style of teaching.

Bu kick boxing provides a good full body workout, usualy with circuit training exercises to start with, plus stretching too. For cv, then any contest martila art will get you fit. Even judo at the right club will get you very fit and strong due to the constant wrestling.
KickNit
Amateur
Amateur

38 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I always get a good workout doing kickboxing. Yes, I think it's good for CV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum