AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keep getting phpbb errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> AardvarkSport.net Board Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acyd Burning
Apprentice
Apprentice

23 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: keep getting phpbb errors Reply with quote

Every time i try doing something on this forum i keep getting this:

Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Can someone tell me what i can do to fix this or is it the forums? Crying or Very sad
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry... this is happening quite a bit just now due to some server problems. We're looking into it and hopefully normal service will be resumed soon.

Aaron
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be working again now... please let me know if you experience any further problems.

Aaron
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can someone tell me what i can do to fix this

Find me a replacement brain would be a good first move - ideally with an IQ of at least 200 and increased memory capacity...! Very Happy

That glitch is being caused by other scripts (not related to the forums) refusing to let go of the database properly - kindof like the kid who sits on his/her ball and refuses to let anyone else play with it because they want it, but by doing so doesn't get to play with it themselves. But in a binary sense.

Got a fix en-route to try to stop it doing this....just hang on to your hats ladies & gents as this might get a little bumpy. Then we'll give up and go buy a Quad Xeon 16GB monster server with 20 Disk RAID 5 Double Duplex and 1GB of read-ahead cache. Can I borrow a tenner from anyone....? Wink

Trev - frazzled techie dept
Acyd Burning
Apprentice
Apprentice

23 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i was just about t say thanks for thr fix. Then i tried to submit the post and got the error again. Confused
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us until tomorrow morning (UK time) and there's some changes coming through to the scripts that are eating the servers, so hopefully things should improve. If not, any donations to the "we need mega servers" fund gladly accepted. Smile

Trev
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully should have at least reduced the number of these going through the system, but still got some work to do.

Effectively it's some of the other sites that were making excessive numbers of calls via http and the databases that are causing quite a few of the problems. We're slowly going through rewriting code to make them less overpowering, but due to the number of scripts and complexity of the system (plus having over 120 sites using it), we've not got there yet.

If this doesn't fix it then we'll need to go cap in hand and say "Please sir, I want more [servers]" to Aaron. Erm...anyone want to offer an out of work techie geek a job? Wink

Would help if we had DSL in the office for upload speeds, but I'm not even going to tell him how much that would cost or I might be sold to slave traders on Mars....well, you think a bright orange Aardvark running a search engine is from Earth?! Shocked There is proof of this somewhere, but I can't remember which forum the cartoon is on.

Trev
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished upgrading another two of the scripts and that does seem to have helped quite a bit with loads dropping a fair amount. There's still one script that's going to be trickier and still a lot of database accessing which I can't get around, but at least we shouldn't be seeing the kinds of slowdowns that have plauged things recently.

Will see what we can do tomorrow...

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> AardvarkSport.net Board Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum