AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul's marathon "blog"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got in a bit ago from my 5-miler and I feel like a drowned rat. It didn't stop raining the whole way round. Thankfully, the heel was OK but I'll probably get a better idea of how it is in the morning.

5.04 miles
47m 50s
9m 29s pace

Week 1, Day 3 now complete.

123 days to go...
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about bad weather is it takes your mind off your other pains Very Happy

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done lots of reading and 99% sure that I've identified the heel problem: plantar fasciitis.

I think it's fairly mild (at the moment!) as it sounds like it can get very uncomfortable indeed. I'm getting mixed messages on whether I should stop running (some say you should, others not so much). There look to be lots of things I could do to improve the situation - stretches, rolling my foot on a golf or tennis ball from time to time, and changing my running gait/style a bit. Hopefully a combination of all three might put me on the right track and I can continue to exercise. Physio appointment next week is proving like it should be very timely. Confused

Completed Day 4 yesterday.

3.02 miles
28m 59s
9m 37s pace

Today is a rest day. Smile

Paul
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm going to be trying these out over the next few days...

adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth getting some advice on your running style too. A friend recently went to the Nike Town shop on Regent Street and they have a gizmo there that monitors your running style and gives you advice.

No idea how widespread that kind of thing is of course.

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they have them elsewhere too although I've never been on one. I've only ever had people look at the wear on the soles of my trainers and advise from there. On a running forum I'm on, one guy is advising this...

Quote:
As to the cause, here's another view to consider. Tendon inflammation occurs because of opposing forces working on the tissue. Basically (assuming you are a land on heel when running - is that true?) when your foot rolls from heel to toe your bodyweight will apply a force on the PF (that's okay in itself). If however you are really pushing hard at the same time and using your foot as a leverage to push your body forward then you will be applying another force in the opposite direction. Whenever you have two opposing forces acting on a tissue you will inflame it when repeated many times.

Do not push-off when you run, then there are no opposing forces acting on the PF. Take away thoughts of pushing hard into the ground to go faster. Then the pain will go away.

And when I asked further about this, he said...

Quote:
I recommend you take you shoes off at home and walk around the house barefoot, all the time if you can. It will greatly strengthen your feet over time.

Push-off - well that's a whole different topic . I'll keep it simple, when you push hard into the ground you mainly raise yourself upwards but not forwards. When you push, you start the action under your body and feel like you push backwards, right. But pushing under the body makes it go up and the backward part you feel is actually just muscle tension since you no longer have any bodyweight once your body has gone past your foot (pushing you body forward is an illusion). There has been a good amount of research on this. Pushing does not really help you run faster it just takes you higher into the air.

Try and find some of the other threads where I have written stuff on this, but basically your body falls forward which causes it to accelerate. Your legs support and release this so you keep going forward. Most people think that they use their legs to propel their body so they stride out in front and push-off behind. But all you need do is continue the momentum of your body, so you are best not striding out since that is like putting the breaks on in front of your moving body. And trying to pushing back only serves to raise your body up.

Paul
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting.

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting also...

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.pdf

Last paragraph on page 2 talks about 'planter fasciitis' and goes on to say:

Quote:
Wearers of expensive running shoes that were promoted as correcting pronation or providing more cushioning experienced a greater prevalence of these running-related injuries than wearers of less expensive shoes... In another study, expensive athletic shoes accounted for more than twice as many injuries as cheaper shoes, a fact that prompted Robbins and Waked (1997) to suggest that deceptive advertising of athletic footwear (eg. "cushioning impact") may represent a public health hazard.

Makes you wonder whether the whole long distance shoe market is all a bit of a con.

Paul
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day off yesterday, and today was my first real test of any kind, running at pace. I struggled! Target was 8m 45s per mile for 5 miles. I managed:

4.99 miles
43m 50s
...which works out as 8m 47s pace

Not all that far off but I was feeling tired on mile 1 and had to really push myself to get as close as I did. I'm now thinking that I'm being way too ambitious with my pace time, but I think I'll wait and see how I get on with the pace run in week 3 (I don't have one next week) before deciding on whether to revise the target.

The injury is still bugging me a little. I'm trying to take stretching more seriously and am doing the exercises above. I've also been spending time rolling my foot over a golf ball (it's meant to help) which does seem to ease it at least temporarily.

I've also been reading more about the marathon course that I'll be following on the day and am wondering what I've let myself in for. Lots of hills by the sounds of it.

Quote:
The second half is harder than the first and not just because you are more tired - the hills are much longer, rolling rather than short and sharp.

Confused Laughing

Paul
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll improve as you lose weight. Might also help to find a training partner. Always easier to go fast when you're with someone.

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hope so. A few pounds coming off already which is encouraging. For now, I'm quite happy running solo as I find some more respectable fitness (less pressure that way!) but I do know one other person who's running the same event as me who I might go out with at some point. Only problem is, he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy better than me. He did say he wouldn't mind running at my speed, though.

Yesterday, I did the first "long" run of my training (8 miles). I completed 8.11 miles in 1 hour 19m 25s and felt tired, but OK, at the end. That's week 1 out of the way, and weeks 2 and 3 are not all that different, so should be manageable.
adigaskell
World Champion
World Champion

7207 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll become a routine before long and the time will start dropping pretty quickly.

[/url]
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe when it's more routine-like, it'll be less painful too. Smile

I weighed myself this morning and I was 13st 6lbs. I was 14st on New Years Day. Confused

I guess some would say that's too quick a loss, but I'm not really eating less (not all that much, at least). It's mostly just being burnt off, I think. I suppose if I'm excercising regularly, my metabolism should be higher on a day to day basis which has got to be good for shifting the pounds.
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in from a late 3-miler.

3.18 miles
29m 53s
9m 24s pace

That's week 2 day 2 'ticked'. 117 days to go... Smile

(Yesterday was cross training day so I clocked up over an hour on the Wii Fit)
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miserable weather again for tonight's run.

5.21 miles
50m 37s
9m 43s pace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Coaching & Training Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum