AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me who thinks that African soccer/football ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Sports Science Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohcnetwork
World Champion
World Champion

884 Ants

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Is it just me who thinks that African soccer/football ... Reply with quote

Is it just me who thinks that African soccer/football players have great physical strength? If it really is the case, how did they obtain that strength? How can you possibly players in Europe and South America obtain that strength?
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it's a case of evolution.

If you go back a fair while in history, we were all kicking about in Africa which tends to be a place where you've got to catch your dinner using speed and staminer in the same way as say a lion has to run to catch it's food.

As we moved out of Africa, other factors became more important such as the need to build up fat layers as it's quite a bit colder up here if your mud hut doesn't have the latest installed log fire. Also we were hunting in much more forestted areas so could develop other techniques that require more surprise than staminer so we developed different types of muscles.

Evolution takes a long time to change things so people who's ancestors were in Africa maybe 5 generations back still have the genetic traits required for speed and staminer running - very handy in the 600 meters race.

Trev
ohcnetwork
World Champion
World Champion

884 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty intelligent post, Trev.

Do you have any take on cultural differences? Maybe there are some advantages in Africa for one to become a great athlete?
trev
Club Secretary
Club Secretary

143 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if there are any cultural differences, but then again I've never been to Africa to find out. I would imagine in pure opportunities theres a lot more outside of Africa itself but in theory that should balance out for those with recent African ancestors living in Europe or America.

Trev
SportsScienceJobs
Novice
Novice

7 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely possible for players outside of Africa to obtain the same levels of strength. The African players tend to have very good core strength that allows them to remain balanced, strong when running with ball or dealing with pressure from other players. Anybody can trin to improve core strength with a large range of exercises (i'm sure you could Google it). However, like Trev said, I think that evolution has favoured the African players to the point that may develop core strength with greater efficiency than other players or are simply able to develop greater levels of core strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Sports Science Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum