AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different diet for professional athletes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Sports Science Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohcnetwork
World Champion
World Champion

884 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Different diet for professional athletes? Reply with quote

Suppose that there is this "ideal and healthy" diet. Do professional athletes also follow this "ideal and healthy" diet for regular citizens who are not professional athletes or professional athletes should have different diet?
mindboggle
Apprentice
Apprentice

11 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional athletes must follow unique diets that probably would not work for your average joe. For example, a marathoner will consume a lot of carbs before the event. A non-athlete would regret this as overloading on carbs is no good for a diet. I can't think of an "ideal and healthy" diet that would allow the marathoner to gain the carbs they need while allowing the average citizen to lose weight. Athletes simply require more as they burn more calories.
ohcnetwork
World Champion
World Champion

884 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that, if you're are one of people who exercise a lot, I mean a lot, your diet should be different from what healthy diet is to regular people?
dojo
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

57 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exercised a lot in a time and I must confess I also started having different eating habits too. after you enter a training regime you'll see some food is good and some not and you'll adjust in time. With a good diet and training regime the results will be quite good Smile
wilford
Amateur
Amateur

25 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is really the best..i'm also an athelete and this things would really help me a lot..perhaps it would be even better if you've got in here some healthy tips and diets in here..probably healthy food will do..

credit card debt consolidate and auto accident best homeowners insurance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jonwade
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

62 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different sports do require different diets to the average Joe. Weight lifters often consume many small meals throughout the day, usualy apporx. 4 hours apart, with concentration on carbs for muscle fuel (body converts carbs to glycogent which is needed to work muscles) and proetein timing, i.e. eating proteins at the right time after a workout to ensure the body has everything it requires to repair and build muscle.

Different athlete require different diets. Many athletes have to keep their weight down.
Carrying a bit of extra weight will make a lot of difference when doing the high jump.
Rugby players require some fat covering for extra padding, as muscle does not absord impact as well as good old fat.

For most serious athletes diet is as important as training and rest. But, the diet still has to be healthy. A body builder will be better off getting their carbs and proteins from chicken and vegetables than from Big Macs.

Cheers,

Jon.
jonwade
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

62 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, nutrition is a big thing in athletics. It's all about timing and proportion of different types of food - protein, carbs, fats etc. Especially running up to and on competition days. Also there is seasonal variation in diet to allow growing/bulking phases and then cutting/weight loss. Check out Lance Armstrong's diet, which is a seasonal one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Sports Science Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum